Monday, June 24, 2013

Day 8

Sunday, June 16. It's hard to believe that we just left one week ago today and now we're all the way in the northwestern corner of Wyoming at Yellowstone National Park. 

Yellowstone! Wow. Where to begin? It's been hard to write while Colin is driving because I don't want to miss out on any of the gorgeous scenery. It's probably worth a trip to the park just to drive through, but we've been doing a lot of hiking as well and I'm so glad for that because the views that are set back from the road are, I think, the most breathtaking.





I've never seen waterfalls or cascades of this magnitude--not even close. Not to mention that the whole of Yellowstone is atop a volcano, of which I had no idea until I got here, but it makes for a lot of really neat geothermal features like hot springs and geysers, which are everywhere in the park.






I should also mention that we spent the day at and camped in Grand Teton National Park yesterday and last night. I didn't write about it for the same reason I mentioned before, not wanting to miss out on anything. Grand Teton is right below Yellowstone on the map (they actually share a border) so we were able to camp on the north end of Grand Teton and drive right into Yellowstone the next morning. Grand Teton was beautiful but much smaller than Yellowstone and a lot less crowded even though we were there on a Saturday. We could have spent more time there and done more hikes but we were antsy to get on our way to Yellowstone so we didn't see as much of the park as we could have--I'm still not sure if this was a good move or not, but Yellowstone has been so incredible that I don't care. I'll end this post with a few pictures from Grand Teton:



No comments:

Post a Comment